Common Housefly and The Chop Shop Butchery are holding a basic knife skills class on October 20, beginning at 6:30. In this class 8 students will learn basic butchery skills in cutting up a whole kitchen into the common 8 pieces for use in most recipes.
We will begin with a tutorial on kitchen knives. We will bring some examples of different knives and cover relevant topics, including:
- The difference between stamped and forged knives.
- How Rockwell hardness and bevel angle differentiate German knives from Japanese knives.
- The 3 types of knives that everyone should have in their kitchen.
Knives will be supplied by Common Housefly and the class will be taught be one of the working butchers at The Chop Shop Butchery. Topics in the butchery class include:
- How to cut up a whole chicken into 8-10 parts
- How to spatchcock a whole chicken.
- Other options for chicken (time permitting).
The cost for this class is $59. In addition to the class instruction, students will receive:
- One locally-raised all-natural, free range chicken.
- One 20% coupon, good for 2 weeks, which can be used towards the purchase any knife at Common Housefly.
- One 10% coupon, good for 2 weeks, which can be used towards the purchase any item at The Chop Shop Butchery.